Launching Romance into the stars.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

How stories begin

As an author, I find inspiration in so many aspects of everyday life. With my recent release, Never Gonna Let You Go, I was inspired by an assignment I completed in my high school science fiction English class. So, I decided to share this assignment with you. Please keep in mind that I wrote this September 15, 1996. I've learned so much since then.

A Whole New World


Finally, I had reached a new land. After travelling through time and space, it was time for me to explore this new world which lay before me. What I saw amazed me. For as far as my vision could reach, I could see no buildings or signs of inhabitance by human beings. The land I saw was not flat, but full of hills, depressions and mountains covered by vegetation not known to our Earth.
Then I say it. A dark opening in the side of the mountain to my left. It was located thirty meters up and seemed to be high, but narrow. Immediately, I grabbed my mountain gear, and took off to explore. As I was walking through, what were close to bushes, I kept hearing a rustling noise behind me. I looked back , but could not see anything at my level, or on ground level. I took my walkie-talkie from my belt, to tell my group where I was, and where I was going. If something was following me, it would be good if they knew where I was. When I moved, there was rustling behind me. When I stopped, the rustling stopped. After awhile I became so used to the noise, that I didn't notice it anymore.

Finally, I had reached the bottom of the mountain. There was a very rugged path up to the opening of the cave, so I decided to take that. As I was making my way up, a cold chill ran through my spine. I turned around, and saw the most peculiar creature staring back at me. It was no more than a foot tall, and had no hair on its chestnut coloured skin. It's huge eyes showed nothing but curiosity. I did not want to scare this creature away, so I slowly sat down, and waited. It must have been ten minutes before the creature moved, but very cautiously, it started walking towards me. Suddenly it happened, I had made contact.

Phew! Talk about telling and repetition. I could pick out so much more, too. The story has changed so much since this piece, but it's where the story came from.

Never Gonna Let You Go Blurb:


Caught in a tangle of lies, Calla Jacobs must sort through the truth to discover where she truly belongs. A biologist for Planet Core, she finds herself ensnared in a web of deceit. Sent to Airondelle, she must work with a team to prepare the newly discovered planet for colonists from Earth. But the mission does not go as she expected. Her former lover, Erik Edwards, shuns her, sending Calla into the arms of Melina Holloway, their commander, for the attention she craves and more. A confrontation among the trio leaves her with a broken heart, and fleeing from the two people she trusted most.

Attempting to break free from the lies that bind her, she discovers Planet Core has deceived everyone. And when she returns to Earth, Calla learns just how far Planet Core’s control reaches.

Available from Decadent Publishing and other ebook retailers.

6 comments:

Liz said...

that was a pretty gutsy thing to do Jessica--thanks for sharing your early inspirations with us!
good luck--I'm sure you will do GREAT with this book.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Liz - Thank so much! I've come a long way since then, learned so much. :)

D L Jackson said...

It's amazing to look back and see how you've grown as a writer. Thanks for sharing, Jessica.

Jessica E. Subject said...

DL - Yes, I've grown, but I still continue to learn more about the craft every day. Thanks! :)

Frances Pauli said...

Jessica, great post! You are so brave. Best of luck with the book. It's on my TBR list now.

:)

Jessica E. Subject said...

Frances - Thanks! Just trying to show, we all have to start somewhere. :)